Search This Blog

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Homemade Chai Tea

I love chai tea..but I hate the prices for those little cartons of chai mix. For awhile I just paid the price so I could have my chai. Then I started to cut down on sugar...and well, one thing led to another and eventually I started making my own chai mix. This recipe originated with the Pioneer Woman. I have lowered the amount of sugar by 1/2. I was able to find all the whole spices I needed at The Market in Anacortes, Wa.

9 c. water
2 sticks cinnamon
2 pieces of fresh ginger
14 cardamom pods
4 star anise pods
20 whole cloves
20 whole peppercorns
1 t. nutmeg
2 t. orange zest
20 black tea bags
2/3 c. brown sugar
2 T. vanilla
2 T. honey

Bring water to boil. Add spices, sugar, honey and tea. Steep for 20 minutes. Strain. Add vanilla.

I mix this with 1/2 chai mix and 1/2 vanilla soymilk and it it great!

No comments:

Post a Comment