Search This Blog

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Wheat Berry Salad with Red Fruit and Chicken

I am trying to cook a little more with grains and beans...so....this week I will be posting recipes using quinoa and wheat berries.  I originally had planned this recipe as a dinner, but when a friend was coming over for the afternoon I decided to make it for lunch.  Leftovers can always be dinner another night.   I have to admit I went to 3 different grocery stores and could not find wheat berries.  I finally ended up ordering them off Amazon.  Wheat berries take a while to prepare, so if you want this for a quick dinner or lunch, precook your berries.  They will keep 3 days in the refrigerator or can be frozen.

Wheat berries
2 c. wheat berries
7 c. water
1 t. salt
Put all ingredients in a large pot.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and let simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Drain.

For the salad
4 c. mixed green
1 chicken breast cooked and sliced
1 apples, unpeeled and diced
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/2 c. nuts (your choice)  I used walnuts

Put greens on salad plates.  Top with wheat berries, apples then cranberries and nuts.

Dressing
1/3 c. orange juice
3 T. raspberry vinegar
3 T. olive oil

MIx dressing ingredients and  put on salad as desired.

Look at this great ladies lunch!



No comments:

Post a Comment