Search This Blog

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Chocolate Torte

The other day I had a piece of chocolate torte for the first time.  It was sort of like a brownie but then sort of like a cake...it had powdered sugar on the top.  It wasn't too sweet, it wasn't too rich.  Just right.  I have never made a torte so of course I had to go straight home and begin looking at recipes.  After all, Valentine's Day is near and I would need to bake something special for my sweetheart.  This recipe is by far the simplest of all I found.  I found it on the Food Network website.   You can make it more decadent by topping it with ganache, fresh raspberries, whipped cream, or, well you get the idea.  I am going for the simple sprinkle of powdered sugar.

12 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1 1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
6 eggs
pinch of kosher salt

Put chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler until it melts.  If you do not have a double boiler you can put it in a bowl that will fit over a pan.  Put water in the pan and simmer, put bowl on top and melt.  Let melted chocolate  cool.  Beat 6 eggs, sugar and salt on medium high for 6 minutes.  Fold in half of the chocolate.  Then fold in the other half.  Pour into a buttered springform pan.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until no longer wiggly/jiggly in the middle.  If you stick a toothpick in it, it will come out with a few crumbs on it.  Cool.  Remover from pan and serve with desired topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment