Search This Blog

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Savory Beef Stew with Mashed Potatoes

This is a recipe that I found, and then changed up a bit to suit my own tastes.  I made it in a crockpot just to have a nice warm dinner ready on this cold work day.  Lately I have been hearing a lot of my women friends complain that their partners want a meat and potato dinner, but it is so hard to have time to prepare one after work.  This recipe is a great meat and potato dinner...mostly made it a crockpot.  Basically, you make the stew in the crockpot and then serve it over mashed potatoes. Now wouldn't that make your sweetheart's tummy happy?


For the stew:
1# stew meat
4 carrots, sliced
3 celery stalks, sliced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 c. sliced mushrooms
2 c. beef broth
1 bay leaf
1/2 t. thyme
1/2 t. rosemary
3 t. beef bouillion
2 c. green beans
1 c. green peas
Put all ingredients in the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Make mashed potatoes, or use a mix. 
Mix 1/2 c. water and 1/4 c. flour, add to stew and cook on high until thickened.  I had a little trouble having this happen in my crockpot and ended up scooping out the broth, thickening it in a saucepan and then returning it to the crockpot.

Serve the stew over the mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment