Search This Blog

Friday, January 25, 2013

Unbeleafable Spinach Salad

I am slowly cooking my way through my new "The Looneyspoons Collection"  cookbook.  Tonight I tried this spinach salad with crumbled bacon, mushrooms, mandarins, hard boiled eggs in a warm maple-Dojon vinagrette.  Delightful!  I am going to pass on the recipe as it was in the cookbook.  I did not happen to have a can of mandarin oranges so I just used one of the Cutie oranges and some orange juice.  I also used shallots instead of red onion...because that was what I had on hand.  I like my mushrooms better sauteed..so I did that too.  Did I just change the whole recipe?  Not quite, try it the original way, mine or do some improvising of your own!  Any way you try it you will love it.

1 can mandarin oranges in syrup
8 oz. spinach leaves
3 c. sliced mushrooms
6 slices bacon
1/2 c. diced red onion
1 t. minced garlic
3 T. balsamic vinegar
2 T. Dijon mustard
2 T. maple syrup or honey
6 hard boiled eggs, sliced lengthwise into quarters
Drain oranges, reserving liquid (about 1/2 c.)  Place oranges, spinach, eggs, and mushrooms in a large salad bowl.
Cook bacon until crisp.  Drain and crumble or chop.  Add to salad.
Add onions, garlic, and orange syrup to bacon drippings.  Stir to break up any bits on the bottom of the pan.  Simmer for 3 minutes.  Stir in vinegar, mustard and syrup.  Simmer 2 more minutes. 
Serve hot dressing on salad as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment