Search This Blog

Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Flatbread Extravaganza

Today, inspired by my visit to Chao restaurant and their yummy flatbread salad pizza, I have decided to try and make my own flatbread.  I was inspired to do this after looking at the poor choice and high prices for flatbread at my local grocery store.  Anyways, homemade is always best ...right?

This is the recipe I found for homemade flatbread.  I like that you can mix it up and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before using....this way I can make it up on a weekend and then use it later during the work week without a lot of prep involved.  I found the recipe on My Jerusalem Kitchen's website.

For the dough:
3/4 c  lukewarm water
1 tsp instant yeast
2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt

Mix the water and yeast in a  bowl, and stirring  to dissolve the yeast. Then add in  the flour and salt l and continue mix until it has formed a ball.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead 5 minutes. The dough should still feel moist.  Continue to work in flour until it is smooth.
If you have time, you can let the dough rise until you need it or until doubled in bulk (about an hour and a half). After rising, you can use the dough or refrigerate it for up to three days.
Cover the dough with  a  kitchen towel while you prepare the toppings.
Roll the dough out onto a large rectangle on a floured surface.
Cover dough with desired toppings.  Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes.

I made 3 pizzas tonight...the salad pizza already posted, one  margherite with pesto, cherry tomatoes and mozarella, and a traditional pepperoini with some fresh basil.  All were great.  Here is a picture:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment