Search This Blog

Friday, January 2, 2015

Black eyed Pea Salad

This is a Southern recipe that is supposed to bring good luck if you eat it on New Years Day.  Black eyed peas are a good source of fiber,  so it is good for you too.  I tried "Texas Caviar" this summer at
Dinosaur Bar B Que in Syracuse, New York.  Texas Caviar is very like this salad.  I loved it.  So for 2015 at our house we are starting the New Year with this salad and some smoked pork chops.  I guess some collard greens on the side would be good too.  I cooked up a small bag of dried black eyed peas by boiling them in water for 90 minutes.  I froze the beans I didn't use for another time.

4 c. cooked black eyed peas
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 tomato, diced
1/4 red onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/3 c. chopped cilantro
Mix all these ingredients in a bowl.  Mix dressing, pour over and refrigerate for several hours before serving.



Dressing:
1/4 c. rice vinegar
2 T. canola oil
1 t. sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment