- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed candied fruit or fruitcake mix
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 2 T. rum
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Soak raisins and candied fruit in apple juice and rum for one hour. Drain. Melt the butter. Warm milk and whisk in butter. Whisk in yeast, sugar, salt and eggs. Stir in orange and lemon peel and almond extract. Stir in 1 1/2 c. flour. Beat until smooth. Ass in raisins, candied fruit and nuts. Mix well. Continue adding flour until no longer sticky, and kneadable. Knead for 5 minutes adding additional flour as necessary. Form into a large ball. Butter a large bowl and place dough inside. Cover and let rise for one hour in a warm place.
- Punch down dough. Let rest 10 minutes. Divide in two.Roll each section out into a 8" x 12 rectangle, fold one edge over the other lengthwise. Let rise again for 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. After cooling, mix glaze and drizzle over top.
Saturday, December 19, 2015
Posted by Susie