- This is a nice fresh vegan dinner, that is so delicious. You do not even notice the sweet potato-it provides a nice creaminess just to bring the ingredients together. I topped mine with salsa, guacamole, and olives.
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 cup of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup mexi-corn or 1 cup corn plus 1/4 c. chopped green pepper
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/4 cup of diced onion
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cilantro
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- 4-6 ounces of grated cheese
- 1-2 heaping tablespoons of taco sauce, enchilada sauce, or salsa
- olive oil spray or plain oil
- green onions. sliced
- Poke a few holes in the sweet potato, wrap it in a slightly damp paper towel, and microwave on high for about 6-8 minutes.
- Combine corn, diced or minced peppers, and diced or minced onion with your black beans, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, cilantro, cayenne, and taco sauce/salsa.
- Once your sweet potato is cooked, fluff the inside with a fork and add the flesh [minus the skin] to the rest of your veggies and mix thoroughly.
- Working in small batches of maybe 3-4 tortillas, wrap corn tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Follow it up with an additional 30 seconds, if needed. The goal here is to steam the tortillas so they roll into perfect flautas without breaking or cracking
- Spray one side each tortilla with oil and add "line" of veggie filling to the center of the "dry side" of each tortilla, about 1-inch thick.
- Top it off with a layer of cheese and roll the tortilla.
- Place on a wire baking/cooling rack and seal with a toothpick, if needed.
- Repeat these steps until you have a rack full of flautas.
- Give them one more spray of cooking spray to get them extra crispy and put the rack on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 425F for 15 minutes.
- At the end, set to broil on HIGH for just under a minute to crisp the tortillas into a perfectly golden, crunchy shell.
- Serve with plain greek yogurt or sour cream, green onions, salsa, and guacamole for dipping!
Tuesday, July 19, 2016
Sweet potato and black bean flautas
Posted by Susie