This is a nice casserole without the usual creamy filling-just veggies, chicken and rice. It has a little thyme and cranberry to spice it up. It makes a 8 x 10 casserole, so plenty for leftovers too.
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice blend
- 2 c. water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken breasts, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 bag frozen butternut squash
- 1 c. frozen broccoli or snow peas or both
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided (about 2 ounces)
In a frying pan heat the oil and add the chicken and onion. Saute until chicken in no longer pink. Meanwhile in the microwave, efrost the squash and other vegetables. Add in to the chicken and onion mixture and saute 5 -7 minutes. Stir in the thyme and cranberries.
When the rice is done, mix it together with the chicken mixture and 1/4 c. of the Parmesan cheese. Put into a casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 c. cheese. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.