Search This Blog

Sunday, July 9, 2017

Sausage-Spinach Stuffed Portobellos




My sister brought over this mushroom stuffing this week to share..so today she is my guest cook on
my blog.  She didn't give me the recipe, so I looked around the internet until I found one I believe is probably close to the original.  Portobellos are great grilled so you can pop this on the barbeque if the weather is too hot to use your oven.  The recipe calls for mozzarella cheese on top, but you could also use feta or parmesan with great results.  My sister baked hers, and did not precook the sausage.

4 large Portobello mushrooms (get the biggest ones you can find)
12 oz. mild or hot Italian sausage (use turkey Italian sausage for South Beach Diet)
1-2 T olive oil (for browning sausage and onions and brushing on mushrooms before grilling)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. minced fresh garlic
pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
8 oz. coarsely chopped spinach leaves
2 T chopped fresh basil (probably optional, but recommended)
2 T chopped fresh parsley (probably optional, but recommended)
1/2 cup grated mozzarella, plus 1/2 cup for sprinkling on top (I used low-fat mozzarella)

Pull stems out of mushrooms and remove gills with a spoon.  Brush with olive oil inside and out. In a fry pan, cook sausage, onion and garlic until sausage is no longer pink.  Add spinach and cook about 3-4 minutes, until wilted.  Stir in spices.  Put stuffing into mushrooms.  Barbeque on grill for 5-8 minutes, or bake at 375 for about 12-15 minutes.  Put cheese on top and heat a little more until cheese melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment