- This is a wonderful authentic mole dish from a great blog: www.mexicoinmykitchen.com. This blog has real recipes that are fantastic. I highly recommend checking it out. If you don't want to use mole that you buy at the store, this blog has a homemade mole recipe you can use with this recipe.
9 Corn Tortillas at least (left overnight on your kitchen counter to dry)
- 2 cups of cooked chicken finely shredded
- 2 cups of homemade mole sauce
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (mozzarella and muenster work fine)
- 1/3 onion thinly sliced
1. Preheat your oven at 350 degrees. Heat the sauce in a skillet until it is warm but not hot. The tortillas should be dry to have nice layers, they will soften while baking. These ones in the above picture where left in the oven racks overnight, with the oven OFF. This way, I do not have to fry them to keep its shape. They resemble lasagna sheets.
2. Place a few spoons of the sauce to the bottom of your oven proof dish. Add 3 tortillas and spoon some more of the sauce over the tortillas. Completely covering the tortillas with the sauce.
3. Top the mole sauce with 1/3 of the chicken, cheese and onion slices. Repeat process to form the layers.
4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover during the last 10 minutes of the baking process.