Bread in an hour? Who doesn't have time for that? Homemade bread in the oven fills the house with the most delicious smell. Then there is the slice of hot bread with butter. Yum! I just had to try this!
- 1 and 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast*
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3-4 cups all purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 egg white, optional (for brushing)
- Whisk together the water, sugar, yeast and salt. Let sit for 5 minutes then whisk in the butter and one cup of flour. Stir in 3 1/2 c. more of flour. Knead on a floured surface, or with the dough hook of your mixer for 5 minutes. Shape into 2 long thin baguettes. With a sharp knife cut 3 diagonal slashes across the top of each loaf. Cover with a towel and allow to raise for 20 minutes. During this time heat your oven to 450 degrees. I desired brush thte top of the bread with the egg white. Bake the bread for about 20 minutes.